Tuesday, August 24, 2010

How My Studies Took Me Halfway Around the World

I love traveling, particularly international travel. Perhaps it's because I took my first international trip when I was 10 to Guatemala, or maybe it's all the new sites, culture, and life not yet experienced that drives my passion for international travel. Whatever it is, I know the opportunity of going to a foreign land is one I don't pass up easily.

When the opportunity was presented to me to go to Indonesia this past summer and present a paper I had written with my group in Management in a Globalized Era (one of the required courses for the MBA program) at an international business conference, I knew I had to go.

My husband (who was in my group for that paper) and I decided to jump at this opportunity and see what we could learn, who we could meet, and what kind of culture we could experience...in Bali, Indonesia.

Never would I have imagined that my MBA studies at ORU would allow me to have such an international experience - while still completing my degree! We met business leaders from all over the world - Japan, South Africa, New Zealand, China, Thailand, and other pacific-rim countries. We heard from CEO's, marketing directors, and managers. The Indonesian Tourism Board hosted a banquet for all of us so we could catch a glimpse of Indonesian culture.

One of ORU's MBA students is from Indonesia and we were able to meet up with him there. The world suddenly felt much smaller. I love the international flair at ORU and the fact that I can fly halfway across the world (nearly 22 hours of flight time) and sit down with an ORU MBA student and one of our professors while sipping some incredibly fresh non-imported coffee - and that it was my MBA studies that took me there. Who knew that writing just one paper could open up the world?

No comments:

Post a Comment