Wednesday, October 6, 2010

International Experiences

I love how I can pass through the hallways of ORU and hear languages other than my native tongue. From Spanish, to German, Russian, and Swahili, the flair of international students can definitely be heard on the campus of ORU. I believe this really adds a dimension to ORU that not many campuses have. This year, 56 different nations are represented on the campus of ORU. Within the Graduate School of Business, nearly 20 nations are present, giving us about 30% of all countries on ORU in our graduate business classes.

Having such a number of international students in classes gives a greater understanding of the world in which we live as well as giving opportunities to make international connections. I appreciate being able to learn not only about globalization, but being able to live it within my classes.

Two years ago I was given the privilege of traveling to Asia for a three-week recruitment trip to six different countries. Getting to meet prospective students where they live and seeing everything they have to do in order to study in the US made me realize how much of a process it is to get here and gives me an even greater respect for those in my courses.

I thoroughly enjoy traveling to different parts of the world, meeting new people, and seeing new things. If I can't travel all the time, at least I can learn more about the international students in my classes - where they're from, what they feel, how they react to different things mentioned in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment