Monday, October 4, 2010

Tips for Midterm Week

Fall Break is one week away, but before students can go frolicking into the wild blue yonder for a week, we must pass the intense week of Midterms.

When I was in my undergraduate studies some classes pushed midterms until after break or just had a normal test. Midterms for graduate studies are quite different. It's putting everything and more that has been studied thus far onto paper in just 150 minutes of time. One specific class I have to thank for my feelings of frenzied-ness comes in the form of Marketing Management. This class makes me not only feel like I'm in grad school, it makes me know I'm in grad school. Besides our notes from lectures and the chapters from the textbook, we've been reading additional books each week since before the semester began (yes, before). Put all of this stuff together and it leaves LOTS of information to study or prepare for. So, in honor of this class and what I'm reviewing, I thought I would pull a few things from some of the books we've read in the class and use them as tips of the week because some of them can truly be used this week...

*Get some sleep. Yes, as tempting as it can be to pull all-nighters, it really might not be that beneficial to you. According to Fried & Hansson of the book Rework, all nighters could become habits that lead to stubbornness, lack of creativity, diminished morale, and irritability. Add to that, when you're sitting down to take a test covering information from the past 8 weeks, pulling an all-nighter the night before probably will not have helped much. By now you either know it or you don't. Stressing out and lack of sleep can be no bueno for taking exams.

*According to Blink by Malcolm Gladwell, your initial reactions to something (thin-slicing) can be correct, so don't discount your first thoughts about the answer to a question on a test. At the same time, be vigilant in reviewing your work, as I believe it is beneficial to review your work to make sure you didn't forget something.

*Take a deep breath - it's going to be okay. Rework also specifies this in the book as says to resist those urges to panic. With midterms this week, I know several people may be feeling a bit like panicking - but don't. It won't give you more time studying, it will take away. It won't help you feel better, it will make you feel worse. It doesn't encourage, so just hit the books and study what you can.

Another tip I would give from just personal experience would be to study what you don't know. Such a simple concept but it can really be helpful. I have a habit of studying everything. Things I know and things I'm not strong in. By going over everything, I'm taking away some of the time I could be reviewing those areas I need more time in. So, as easy as it sounds, don't dwell on what you know - push yourself in those areas you need to develop.

Put it all together with some prayers and maybe a morning coffee, and go do well!

1 comment: